Monday, October 13, 2008

Dauphin Island....A Rare Find

"Standing guard between Mobile Bay and the vast Gulf of Mexico, Dauphin Island is a true barrier island - complete with dunes, maritime forests, salt marshes, tidal flats and two freshwater lakes. Named "barrier" for their role in protecting the mainland from nature's fury of storm waves, barrier islands also prevent the inflow of salt water from the Gulf into the bays and sounds by forming a physical barrier. This process is essential to maintaining the nursery characteristics of the estuarine ecosystem. The island is accessed from the mainland by a beautiful drive, consisting of a two and one-half mile causeway and a three mile bridge which opened in 1982."

"Naturally sugar-white, clean, soft sandy beaches adorn Dauphin Island. The south side of the island faces the Gulf of Mexico surf and the north side faces the Mississippi Sound with calm and shallow waters. Both side experience a forever changing kaleidoscope of sunrises and sunsets throughout the year."

-Dauphin Island Chamber of Commerce Welcome Guide (click here) Who is the girl on the white horse?


I really do love Dauphin Island. There are so many memories that come to mind when I think about it. I met Too Tall at the Pelican Pub in the summer of 2000. I bought my first house when I was 19 on the main boulevard. Mom and Dad live in the "pines" on the east end nestled behind the sand dunes. I don't care that my house will forever be in the flood zone. I don't care that the tourists come and go. I care about the few children that can walk to school without a worry in the world. I care about going to Fort Gaines and picking up hermit crabs with Dub on the jetties. I care about keeping Dauphin Island the place that we look forward to visiting with friends. Who doesn't like Mardi Gras on the Island or the Alabama Deep Sea Fishing Rodeo? I want to pass down good memories to Dub. Not all the crap you hear on the news or read in the papers.

It bothers me that there is so much bad press about the island and it really makes me wonder if they have ever stepped foot down here and let the island cast its spell on them. The ones that "get it" really get it. I personally believe they should not build on the far west end of the island. If you didn't know, the roads are all alphabetical and when you get into the one that start with s, it gets bad. Mom and Dad have NEVER had ANY damage, their street starts with a b. There are more homes than you would think in the safe zone. By the way, that is where the locals live. Here are some pictures from this spring and some after Ike.

If you have never been here, come on down. We would love to have you.

Dauphin Island this spring



Golf Course this spring



Fort Gaines this spring



West End this spring



West End after Ike



Far West End after Ike


West end after Ike


Before Ike

After Ike


The pictures are thanks to a guy that takes areal photos after the storms and then brings them to us so we can share them with everyone. I have lots more but I didn't want to put them all on here. If you want a disk I can mail it to you.

1 comment:

John-Bryan Hopkins said...

wow

you go girl


Tell the ruth and someone will listen!!!

I will forward this along!!